Sunday, November 19, 2006

Dream of the Rood



This was another fun piece, but I had to take a break from it for about 2 months before I knew how to finish it. The piece is based on the poem, "The Dream of the Rood", an Old English writing describing the journey Christ takes to the cross. The piece describes Christ as a heroic figure, a warrior battling his way to the tree where he must lay down his life for the sake of all. I started the piece knowing the certain elements I wanted to tie in, bringing a sort of Carravaggio feel to a Alphonse Mucha approach. I was halfway through the piece when I realized there was something missing. After two months working on other pieces, the mosiac background came to me, giving me the final product. Hope you enjoy.

This piece is 24" x 32", Oil on Board. 11" x 14" Prints are available by request via email.

No comments: